I’m slightly obsessed with Martha Stewart’s cupcake book, so i’m slowly working my way through it! I fully intended these to be “healthy” cupcakes, however on first tasting by my flatmate/chief cupcake taster/best friend, she declared that they could do with some buttercream, so that’s what I did! I also made these gluten free, however to make them “normal” just use plain flour and omit the xanthan gum!
These are slightly more complicated then a regular cupcake but they are more than worth it, I promise you!
145g plain or gluten free flour (use half teaspoon xanthan gum with GF flour)
2 medium eggs, separated
60g plain yogurt
Dash of baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
145g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla essence
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
Jam of your choice
– Whisk egg whites until they form soft peaks and set aside.
– In another bowl, sift flour and baking powder/soda. Add in caster sugar.
– Mix in egg yolks, yogurt and softened butter.
– Mix until well combined.
– Add in the lemon juice and zest, vanilla and mix well.
– Mix in one third of egg whites.
– Fold in rest of egg whites until this forms a light batter.
– Spoon into cupcake cases (makes 10-12) and bake on 180 degrees until done (about 15 mins)
– Leave to cool, and cut in half and spread in jam. For a wicked indulgence, whip up 100g butter and 200g icing sugar for a buttercream to add in!
Voila and Enjoy! (We certainly did!)