Sometimes in life, you only need a few cupcakes, whether it’s for a friend, or just for you! Last night I baked 6 perfect cupcakes for a colleague’s wife’s birthday, so I though I’d share with you the recipe.
I made chocolate chip cupcakes with a simple vanilla buttercream, as the birthday girl is also newly pregnant… congratulations!
- 100g flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- 125g caster sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 40g butter
- 120ml milk
- 1 egg
- Handful of chocolate chips (optional)
- 125g butter
- 250g icing sugar
- dash vanilla bean paste or extract
- dash of water
- colouring + sprinkle optional!
- Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa powder together
- Add in sugar and 40g butter at room temperature and use electric or stand mixer to combine
- Whisk milk and egg and add slowly to the mixture
- Sprinkle in those chocolate chips and give one more good mix
- Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for 15-20 mins at 170oC
- When cupcakes are cooled, sift icing sugar into a bowl and add in butter at room temperature.
- With an electric or stand mixer, mix until well combined. Add in vanilla
- If the icing isn’t combining, add in a dash of cold water
- Colour if desired and swirl on top, adding in as much glitter and as many sprinkles as you want!
I hope the birthday girl enjoys these tomorrow, they will be hard to resist!