Todays cupcakes are the cupcakes I made for my own birthday (no cake is as good as homemade cake!) I’m a massive chocoholic as well as loving a challenge so I decided to make some cupcakes I had never attempted before.
Chocolate Guinness cupcakes with Salted Caramel Marscapone buttercream. Makes 36 approx.
For the cake:
– 375 ml Guinness
– 330g butter
– 130g cocoa powder
– 400g plain flour
– 350g caster sugar
– 2 tbs baking powder
– pinch of salt
– 3 eggs
– 200g sour cream
For the buttercream:
– 150g caster sugar
– 150g light brown sugar
– 75g unsalted butter
– 200ml single cream
– 75ml golden syrup
– pinch of salt
– 220g marscapone
– 110g butter
– 750g icing sugar
– Melt together the guinness and butter in a saucepan over a low heat
– When melted, sift in cocoa powder and leave to cool
– Sift in plain flour and baking powder, then add rest of cake ingredients into a bowl and mix well, using a hand or stand mixer.
– Add in chocolatey guinness mixture when cooled and mix well again.
– Scoop the batter (it will be quite wet) into cupcake cases with an ice cream scoop.
– Bake on 180oC for 15 minutes approx.Take out of pan and leave to cool.
– To make the salted caramel, put caster sugar into a pan with 25ml water and let boil (do NOT stir!) until sugar becomes darker. (Approx 8 mins)
– Add in butter, when that is melted add in brown sugar, cream and golden syrup.
– I made a softer sauce, so I let the caramel boil until 113oC then poured into a container.
– To make the buttercream, sift in icing sugar, then add in butter and marscapone, and 2 large scoops of caramel. Save the rest for drizzling!
– Mix well with a hand or stand mixer for about 4 mins, then pipe on top of cupcakes, and drizzle the caramel syrup on top.
– Top with a sprinkle of fleur de sel, and optionally, some glitter!
I like these cupcakes as they were moist and very rich, as well as being a proper dense yet satisfying cupcake, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do, and I recommend you have one with a cuppa… in fact that’s what im going to do right now!