Spring has sprung! Well… spring is sorta, almost here… in short sporadic bursts of sunshine! And to celebrate spring, you NEED this lemon-y slice of heaven! Believe it or not, this cake gets better the LONGER you leave it, so dont worry and make this a day or two before you need it! It’s also dairy free, and so simple you’re going to laugh right in my face!
You’ll have to excuse the terrible photo – I made this one in my mum’s cheapy horrible oven and I can reassure you that it doesn’t usually crack like this!
- Zest of 2 unwaxed lemons
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 4 eggs
- 175g caster sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 130g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Sprinkle of salt
- For the topping:
- 150g caster sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- A cake pan (I used a 10 inch spring pan) and parchment paper to cover the bottom of the pan for best results.
- Measure out the flour, salt and baking powder into a medium sized bowl and mix with a fork.
- Zest your citrus fruit over the flour mixture (more is better!) and mix it in.
- Juice the fruits
- Smear butter or oil on the inside of the baking pan, and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Whisk the four eggs with the sugar for a couple minutes until pale and frothy
- Add in the olive oil while whisking
- Add in the citrus juice while whisking
- Pour into the flour mixture and mix well, with either a wooden spoon or whisk
- Pour the batter into your pan, and pop it into the oven
- Bake at 180oC for 35-45 mins or so until cooked all the way through
- When cake is done, mix together sugar and juice for topping and pour over cake whilst hot
- Let it cool completely in pan!
Serve at the end of a roast dinner and you’re in for a winner!