A summery update on the usual pineapple upside down cake, this cake was made dairy and gluten free for a special person’s birthday, although of course it works just as well with butter and plain flour! I underestimated the amount of fruit i’d need as well, so i’ve updated the recipe accordingly!
- For the topping:
- 100g softened butter
- 100g light soft brown sugar
- 2 punnets fresh raspberries
- For the cake:
- 150g softened butter (or margarine for dairy free)
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 150g plain flour (if using gluten free, please add 1 tsp xanthan gum)
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- Squirt of golden syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 eggs
- Heat oven to 160oC. Grease and line tin with parchment paper.
- For the topping, beat the butter and sugar together until creamy. Spread over the base of the tin and up the sides.
- Scatter raspberries on top.
- Sift in flour, xanthan gum if using and baking powder, and add in rest of cake ingredients.
- Mix together by hand or electric whisk until all ingredients are combined.
- Spoon the mixture on top of the raspberries and smooth out so it’s level.
- Bake for approx 45 mins. Leave to stand for 5-10 mins, turn out onto plate and serve!
Recipe adapted from BBC Good Food
Perfect for a spring or summer afternoon tea party!