It’s well known that we Brits love tea time. Whether it’s tea and crumpets, or tea and cake, we’ll munch through it all! Today’s post is a lovely spiced tea cake recipe, perfect with a cup of tea when it’s cold outside.
I added some dark chocolate and raspberries to top these off, but you could also use a dollop of whipped cream or add some frosting, or just serve warm!
Ingredients (makes 24):
- 360g plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 340g butter or dairy free spread (I used margarine)
- 400g caster sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 250ml milk of choice
- 200g dark chocolate (optional)
- Raspberries or any other fruit (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Grease 2 12-hole cupcake/muffin tins
- Mix together the dry ingredients (flour/baking powder/spices) until combined
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale, then mix in the vanilla bean paste
- Add in the butter+sugar mixture to the dry mix and add milk about 100ml at a time. Mix well.
- Separate the eggs and mix in the yolks. Beat the whites until stiff peaks form
- Fold the whites into the mixture until you cant see them and the mixture is light and fluffy
- Divide the mixture into the cupcake tin (I use an ice cream scoop for this!)
- Bake for 15-20 mins – until lightly browned and a skewer in the middle comes out clean
- Transfer to wire rack and leave to cool
- Whilst cakes are cooling, melt the chocolate in a bain-marie
- Once cakes are cool, spread the chocolate on the top of the cakes and top with fruit of choice
- SERVE with a nicely brewed cuppa!