The dairy/lactose free theme continues with this recipe for No-butter Shortbread! Shortbread is one of my favourite things, buttery, flaky and so delicious! I wanted a treat that I could serve to guests over tea, that I could also enjoy myself… which is where this Olive Oil Shortbread recipe comes in. I have to say, the texture isn’t quite the same but it’s a good alternative. Try it for your dairy-free friends, or even if you want a healthier alternative to butter-heavy shortbread!
- 190g plain flour
- 160g icing sugar
- 1 tsp fine salt
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 cup (225g) extra virgin olive oil
- Caster sugar, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 160oC
- Grease (using olive oil) a square baking tin and set aside
- Whisk together all dry ingredients, and zest the lemon over the top.
- Pour in olive oil and stir together until all ingredients are combines.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, rosemary and lemon zest.
- Pour in the olive oil and stir until all of the dry mixture is incorporated.
- Scoop dough into your tin and press down lightly
- Bake for between 40-55 mins (until golden around the edges)
- Remove from oven and prick lightly with a fork
- Sprinkle caster sugar over
- Let cool 20 mins, then slice into little rectangular fingers
- Serve once completely cooled!