Brownies just got better. Yup, you’re reading that right! These brownies merit a LOT of your attention. Upon tasting them, a pastry chef friend exclaimed to me that my brownies were better than his. Life=made (if you’re reading this Bobby, here’s the recipe!)
- 185g dark chocolate
- 185g olive oil
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 85g plain flour (If using gluten free, also use 1/2 tsp xanthan gum)
- 40g cocoa powder
- 50-100g dark, milk or white chocolate chips
- Melt chocolate in a bain-marie
- Mix in olive oil and leave to cool
- Whisk eggs and sugar together until thick and frothy
- Pour in cooled chocolate & olive oil
- Sift flour and cocoa powder over the top and mix until just combined
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Pour mixture into well-greased tin (I use a square tin)
- Bake for 25 mins on 185oC
- Leave until totally cooled then cut into squares and stuff your face!
I served mine as dessert to a BBQ as well as to feed my friends the day after!
The dairy/lactose free theme continues with this recipe for No-butter Shortbread! Shortbread is one of my favourite things, buttery, flaky and so delicious! I wanted a treat that I could serve to guests over tea, that I could also enjoy myself… which is where this Olive Oil Shortbread recipe comes in. I have to say, the texture isn’t quite the same but it’s a good alternative. Try it for your dairy-free friends, or even if you want a healthier alternative to butter-heavy shortbread!
- 190g plain flour
- 160g icing sugar
- 1 tsp fine salt
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 cup (225g) extra virgin olive oil
- Caster sugar, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 160oC
- Grease (using olive oil) a square baking tin and set aside
- Whisk together all dry ingredients, and zest the lemon over the top.
- Pour in olive oil and stir together until all ingredients are combines.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, rosemary and lemon zest.
- Pour in the olive oil and stir until all of the dry mixture is incorporated.
- Scoop dough into your tin and press down lightly
- Bake for between 40-55 mins (until golden around the edges)
- Remove from oven and prick lightly with a fork
- Sprinkle caster sugar over
- Let cool 20 mins, then slice into little rectangular fingers
- Serve once completely cooled!