It’s well known that we Brits love tea time. Whether it’s tea and crumpets, or tea and cake, we’ll munch through it all! Today’s post is a lovely spiced tea cake recipe, perfect with a cup of tea when it’s cold outside.
I added some dark chocolate and raspberries to top these off, but you could also use a dollop of whipped cream or add some frosting, or just serve warm!
Ingredients (makes 24):
- 360g plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 340g butter or dairy free spread (I used margarine)
- 400g caster sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 250ml milk of choice
- 200g dark chocolate (optional)
- Raspberries or any other fruit (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Grease 2 12-hole cupcake/muffin tins
- Mix together the dry ingredients (flour/baking powder/spices) until combined
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale, then mix in the vanilla bean paste
- Add in the butter+sugar mixture to the dry mix and add milk about 100ml at a time. Mix well.
- Separate the eggs and mix in the yolks. Beat the whites until stiff peaks form
- Fold the whites into the mixture until you cant see them and the mixture is light and fluffy
- Divide the mixture into the cupcake tin (I use an ice cream scoop for this!)
- Bake for 15-20 mins – until lightly browned and a skewer in the middle comes out clean
- Transfer to wire rack and leave to cool
- Whilst cakes are cooling, melt the chocolate in a bain-marie
- Once cakes are cool, spread the chocolate on the top of the cakes and top with fruit of choice
- SERVE with a nicely brewed cuppa!
*Recipe slightly adapted from Lily Vanilli
Morning Cake Snobs… I’ve got a BUNDT in the oven for you today! I baked a blueberry cream cheese pound cake for a volunteers meeting for the food festival Gefiltefest (in May.)
Here I am debuting my new apron, a birthday present with my sister “posing” behind me!
Queen of the kitchen and the Jester!
And here is the real star of the show, Blueberry Bundt cake with a white chocolate topping:
My Bundt Baby
This is a fairly simple recipe, and the reward is just great!
How can you resist a slice?
- 340g unsalted butter
- 8 oz cream cheese (one normal sized packet of Philadelphia)
- 600g sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 390g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- Blueberries, about a bowlful
- 250g white chocolate (optional – for the topping)
- Cream together butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add in sugar and mix until well incorporated.
- Add in eggs one at a time until all are incorporated fully.
- Add in vanilla and salt.
- Sift in flour and mix well.
- Coat your blueberries in some flour and stir them into the batter.
- Butter and flour your Bundt pan, or use cake release spray (I used the latter.)
- Pour mixture into your pan and bake on 160oC for approximately 1 hr and 15 mins.
- Check cake is done by inserting a skewer.
- Leave to cool on a drying rack, leaving the Bundt in the pan.
- Once cooled, flip on your drying rack.
- Melt white chocolate in bain marie and pour liberally over the top. Once this has hardened, SERVE!
Leave to cool in the pan
This is perfect paired with a cup of tea, and served after dinner or as part of a tea!