This is a really quick and easy cake to whip up, especially if you have a few visitors popping over and you want a little snack!
Blueberry Crumble in a Cake!
In fact forget a little snack, like me you wont be able to stop munching it! PS make this in a loaf tin for a real tea-time treat!
- For the crumble topping
- 25g (1oz) plain flour
- 10g (⅓oz) unsalted butter
- 15g (½oz) soft light brown sugar
- 20g whole rolled oats
- A sprinkle of ground cinnamon
- For the cake
- 190g (7oz) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 190g plain flour
- 190g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 25ml semi skimmed milk
- 100g fresh blueberries
- 50g white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 170oC, and grease and flour the loaf tin
- Make the crumble topping first in a bowl by mixing all the dry ingredients together, then rubbing in butter with your fingers. Set aside.
- Then onto the cake! Using a freestanding or hand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time. If it looks curdled, don’t worry!
- Then sift in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and mix well
- Add in the milk and keep mixing until all lumps are gone.
- Stir in the blueberries and white chocolate chips
- Pour the thick batter into the tin and smooth over
- Press crumble topping into the cake and bake for 45 mins approx
- Leave to cool, remove from tin and serve!
Recipe adapted from Hummingbird
Morning Cake Snobbers! It’s official… the holidays are OVER! 😦 Don’t cry just yet though, I have the perfect thing to lift your spirits… a spot of brunch!
I definitely overindulged this weekend (diet starts today right?!) by cooking and baking some yummy dishes that will definitely be repeated.
First up: kick off your day with this Shakshuka-style dish of eggs, perfect for picky eaters (like myself!)
My take on Shakshuka
I’m not a fan of all the veggies etc that go into these dishes usually, so I made my own version! (Feeds 2 very hungry people!)
- Garlic (2 cloves)
- Mushrooms (optional)
- Carton of Passta (I like the garlic+herb one)
- Fresh or dried parsely
- Mixed herbs
- Sriracha or other hot sauce (optional)
- 4 eggs
- Handful or your favourite grated cheese
- First, drizzle a generous amount of olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan
- When hot, crush garlic and fry til brown
- Add mushrooms and fry over
- Add in passata, herbs, paprika, a drop or two of hot sauce, and parsley
- Add a good squeeze of honey, a dash of salt, and mix!
- Simmer for 10/15 mins until mixture has slightly reduced
- Crack in your eggs and add another sprinkling of parsley
- When your eggs are nearly done, sprinkle your cheese over and let it melt!
- Serve immediately in the pan, with some fresh bagels or pita bread
Brunch for 2 hungry people… DONE! (And it’s even kinda healthy too!)
Next time i’d add in some spinach for added iron!
Happy 2014! Sorry guys i’ve been way too quiet the past month, even though the truth is i’ve been making and baking more than ever. I’ve found my new favourite snack… sweet n salty pretzel bites:
crunchy and delicious!
They are so addictive! I made a NYE bundt cake too… marbled, sparkly, and looks just like fireworks! (Well I hope so anyway!)
I stayed in this NYE and made homemade pizzas and pasta for dinner – and watched the fireworks of course!
Happy New Year and here’s to 2014!